Monday, August 10, 2026

Year two of retirement

I feel like the last year has gone by really fast. I don't have any regrets about retiring nor do I feel that I'm missing any sense of accomplishment from not working. This second year I feel like I've got the hang of retirement.. establishing new routines and habits that keep me busy in ways that I truly enjoy. It was my son's senior year of high school and I'm really glad that I was around and truly present for all of his lasts. 

This year he aged out of Scouting and I backed out of my leadership role there. It was also my last year as head coach of the High School Trap team which I'm now in the process of handing over to another dad who's son is on the team. As a family we were able to travel a bit visiting my daughter when she was working at Disney, on the boat, we took a cruise over spring break, and still have a lot more planed for this year. Staying busy has not been a problem.

In about two weeks we will be dropping both Annabelle and Max off at college and that will be quite a change for us. We will officially be empty nesters! It may be quite different without any kid activities to attend, coach, or lead. We will need to find a new rhythm in our house that is not centered around our kids. But next summer we plan to start our circumnavigation which may take anywhere between 2-4 years. So we have that to look forward to and start preping for.

As far as what I had imagined doing in retirement so far none of that has really come to fruition. At one point I thought I might follow up on that offer to teach at the community college or one of the local private schools. I thought I would be playing video games more. I frankly had notions of all sorts of ways to spend my time that I have yet to get to. Of course I also thought I would have a great looking yard, be caught up on all the projects around the house and would have a regular workout routine. Well it seems I failed at all of those but maybe the workout routine. I've been doing really well at getting to the gym or something equivalent 3-4 times a week this year and have continued walking a few miles each day with the dogs. 

Financially its hard to complain the stock market has been doing great which has put us in a better position then we planed for. Our rentals are having a rough year as we had a lot of turn over coupled with a few expensive repairs but I'm optimistic that we will break even with those this year.

Looking back I was never the person that didn't enjoy working or all of the chaos or challenges that came with it but at this point I can safely say I don't miss it nor do I even think about it other than to reminisce with a former colleague from time to time. Retirement has been a great decision for me and I'm really looking forward to our next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment