Sunday, September 20, 2026

We dropped the boy at college

Seems summer is just about gone and with that its was time to do the thing every parent dreams of and dreads at the same time. We all want our kids to be strong well rounded, independent adults. We want them well educated. But we also hate giving up the direct time we get to spend with them when they live at home, and ultimately the amount of influence we once had in their lives. We like to think it's a good influence to keep them "on track and doing all the right things" that will hopefully pay off later in their lifespan. However eventually they do have to leave the nest and start doing their own thing.

August 24th is the day we officially became empty nesters and dropped Max off for his first year at Central Michigan University. I'm sure he will do well and it seems he is already on track trying some new things and making friends. I look forward to seeing him grow over the next four years. The house will be different without the kids around as much. I look forward to figuring out what this next phase of our life's will look like as the kids continue on their own journeys and we start to develop our new routines. For now I'll enjoy what I'm guessing will be a 60% reduction in our weekly grocery bill. I'll be less excited about picking up all of his chores and having to resume my role as the lawn guy around our house but hopefully there will be slightly less work with only two of us making messes on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment