Sunday, March 31, 2024

Purchased a new lens & teleconverter last week

 

In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Iceland next month I had been planing to buy a 100-400 & 1.4TC should I get a chance at any cool bird pictures or maybe whale watching. One came up locally for sale used so I jumped on it. Took it out for a photo walk today and while I did not find any birds that would pose for me nicely I did find a bunch of fungus and flowers that were more than willing subjects.  I have to say I'm really impressed how well this lens does for close up photography. 85% of these were taken with this new lens and the TC on it a few were without the TC and I'm guessing one might be able to tell which were which if I had not tossed in a couple with my 105 macro.  All are uncroped with a bit of color enhancement but nothing else. I now understand why so many speak so well of this lens. Frankly I'm not sure I have much use for it long term but will see how much use it gets next month when traveling. 


For now my 105 is still may favorite lens for photo walks. I have not used my 85 1.2 much and have only used my 24-120 once. I'm thinking of trading my 85 for a 135 but will have to try some street photography with it before I make that decesion. I really do love the look the 85 provides but I have no plans to do portrait work anytime soon. For now I plan to keep the 100-400 at least through summer to see how much use it gets. In my head I think the 24-120 & 100-400 will be the perfect setup for traveling which we hope to do again once Max graduates in a couple years. I really miss the small size and pictures I could get on my old F mount 50 1.4. Maybe I can find something equivalent one day for this system that will fit in the bag with these two lenses?




















No comments:

Post a Comment